Whereas, Mike Pappas, Ross Traphagen, and Grace Zhang are pushing MAGA-extremist policies that would take away our freedom and make New Jersey a more expensive place to raise a family.
National conversations around book banning, abortion, and guns in schools have shown that state legislatures are the last line of defense against extremism.
Supporters can assist by ensuring that unaffiliated, persuadable voters and Democrats who vote in federal elections in LD16 learn about these extremist candidates (via word of mouth or public communications like cable/digital/OTT ads or mail):
Michael Pappas wants to ban abortion, quote “in all cases.” With abortion rights under attack across the country, Pappas, Ross Traphagen, and Grace Zhang could make their vision a reality, banning all abortions even in cases of rape and incest.
Michael Pappas, Ross Traphagen, and Grace Zhang would work to take away a woman’s right to an abortion and even allow insurance companies to deny coverage for contraception. .
- In 1996 while running for Congress, even Pappas’s opponent called his views on abortion extreme
- In 1998, Pappas voted on the record to deny expanding insurance coverage for contraceptives
- From 1996 to 2002, Pappas took over $30,000 from anti-choice groups including Right-to-Life
- During his 2021 New Jersey Senate campaign loss, Pappas touted an endorsement from Right-to-Life
- In his recent 2023 ELEC report, Pappas contributed to New Jersey Right-to-Life PAC.
- NPR Weekend Edition, 10/13/96
- Newark Star-Ledger, 10/11/98
- Newark Star-Ledger, 3/7/98
- New Jersey Globe, 10/20/2021